Vanilla Visa Gift Cards can be used online and anywhere in the United States or District of Columbia where Visa debit cards are accepted. These prepaid gift cards function like debit cards. When swiping your card at the point of sale, you can select 'debit' and enter your PIN number or select 'credit' to make a purchase.
Vanilla Visa Gift Card
If you need a gift for an upcoming special occasion, the Vanilla Visa Gift Card is a viable option.
- The card can be purchased in $20 denominations, ranging from $20 to $500.
- Once the card is activation, no additional fees apply and the funds never expire.
- Per the cardholder agreement, activation costs between $4.95 and $9.95 depending on the dollar value and number of cards activated.
Unfortunately, cardholders are unable to retrieve funds from the card via ATM or using the cash back option at the register. In addition, Vanilla Visa Gift Cards are not reloadable and cannot be returned once purchased.
In the event your card is lost or stolen, you can contact customer care to request a replacement. (The fee varies by your cardholder agreement).
Other Vanilla Visa Options
Vanilla Visa also offers two additional Visa-branded prepaid cards.
The OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Card, which is also offered in Spanish, has all the same features as the Vanilla Visa Gift Card. It is designed for everyday use and is not reloadable or customizable.
The MyVanilla Personal Reloadable Visa Card is a money-management tool designed to be a plastic alternative to a traditional bank account rather than a gift card. Unlike the other Vanilla Visa products, this card is customized with the holder's name and can be reloaded using Vanilla Reload or Walmart Rapid Reload. The maximum daily and monthly reload amounts are $2,500 and $5,000, respectively.
It is also accompanied by free direct deposit and an array of other benefits, including:
- Online bill payment: The card has both recurring and automatic online bill payment capabilities.
- ATM access: A $1.95 fee applies for domestic transactions. The fee is $4.95 for international transactions. If the card is declined, a $0.75 fee will be assessed.
- Card-to-card transfer: Funds can be transferred between Vanilla Visa products. Transfers are limited to $500 daily and $2,000 monthly.
- FDIC Insurance: The card's balance is insured through The Bancorp Bank, which is an FDIC member.
- Cash back at the point of sale: A $1.95 fee applies for over-the-counter cash back transactions.
- Text and email alerts: You can opt-in to receive text and email alerts about account updates.
- Direct deposit: If your employer offers direct deposit, you can have your paycheck sent directly to your card.
There is no monthly fee, but a dormancy fee of $3.95 will apply if the card is not used for a period spanning 90 days. In addition, a $0.50 fee applies to all signature and PIN purchases.
In the event your card is lost or stolen, a $6 replacement fee will be assessed. For a fee of $9.95, you can also elect to close the card, liquidate the balance and receive a paper check in the mail.
Managing Your Vanilla Visa Cards
In the event you need additional assistance, contact customer service 24/7 at 800-571-1376. You can also download the MyVanilla app directly to your smartphone to manage your account while on the go.
Activating Your Card
If you purchase it at a retail location, the cashier will be able to activate the card for you at the cash register. However, you'll need to register your zip code and PIN online before making your first purchase. As mentioned earlier, an activation fee may apply.
(Note: MyVanilla Visa cards are also activated at the point of sale and are valid until you receive and activate your personalized product).
Checking the Balance
You can check the balance on your Visa Vanilla Gift Card in more than one way:
Over the phone by calling 800-571-1376 (Vanilla Gift), 877-770-6408 (One Vanilla) or 1-855-686-9513 (MyVanilla)
Using the mobile app
Online by entering your card number, expiration date and CVV code. (You'll need to sign into MyVanilla's online portal to perform this inquiry online.)
Where to Purchase Vanilla Visa Cards
Vanilla Visas are available at thousands of retailers nationwide, including:
See the Retail Locations page on the company's website for a comprehensive list of locations where these cards can be purchased.
Read the Fine Print
Before making a purchase decision, be sure to select the type of card that best meets your needs. Read the fine print so you are informed about all the costs and limitations of Vanilla branded cards.